- Pause what you are doing and bring your attention to your breath;
- Breathe in for 4 seconds through your nose;
- Hold your breath for 4 seconds;
- Slowly exhale through your mouth for 5/6 seconds;
- Keep practicing this breathing pattern for 4/5 minutes and gently remind yourself "I am not my thoughts" and " I am safe now".
5-4-3-2-1 grounding exercise to the here and now
- Describe 5 things you see in the room;
- Name 4 things you can hear right now (“traffic outside”);
- Name 3 things you can feel (“my feet on the floor” or “the air in my nose”);
- Name 2 things you can smell right now (or 2 smells you like”);
- Name 1 good things about yourself.
You should feel calmer and more at eas by the end of the exercise. Repeat the 5 steps more than once if needed